Easter lilies and chocolate are prevalent at this time of year, but did you know that these two things are some of the most common and poisonous substances your pets might ingest?
Here is the list for the top 10 most common poisonous substances
Cold Medicines containing Pseudoephedrine
Hydrocarbons (paint, varnish, oil, fuel)
parasite prevention products meant for dogs, containing Permethrin
Other topical parasite prevention products
Venlafaxine – an antidepressant
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Symptoms following ingestion may include but are not limited to: muscle paralysis, nervous system malfunction, fatality, irritation of stomach and intestines, dizziness, increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, convulsions, depression, weakened heart beat, intense burning in the mouth esophagus or stomach, stupor, skin inflammation, stomach or intestine ulceration, profuse salivation, tongue swelling and suffocation, excitement, breathing distress, coma, weakness, collapse, staggering, tingling, numbness, vision impairment or blindness, abdominal cramps, drowsiness, blisters, pupil dilation, headaches, elevated blood pressure.
If you suspect your pet has come into contact or ingested any of these items or other possible toxic substances, call the Chestermere Veterinary Clinic at 403-272-3573 right away.
For 24 hour/7 days a week availability call the Pet Poison Helpline: 1-800-213-6680 or visit http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com.
The sooner you get your pet help, the better the likelihood for recovery. Remember to have the ingested substance with you, if possible, to give information over the phone, or to give to the veterinary team in person.
Like us on Facebook!
Meadows, Irina DVM & Sharon Gwaltney-Brant DVM, PhD. “The 10 Most Common Toxicoses in Dogs.”
Veterinary Medicine, dvm360.com.Published March 2006.
Merola, Valentina DVM, DABT & Eric Dunayer MS, VMD, DABT. “The 10 Most Common Toxicoses in Cats.” Veterinary Medicine, dvm360.com. Published June 2006.